Monday, September 26, 2011

My Journey Starts Tomorrow!

This week has been crazy!  Everyday this week has been spent running around getting things ready to depart, working with my dad, or visiting with friends and family. Overall it's been a blast.   I'm very happy that I was able to see so many people before I head out on my 27 month journey (which begins TOMORROW!)   I can't believe the time is finally here for me to depart, and I couldn't be more excited.     Everyone always asks me "Are you nervous or scared?"   and the truth is not at all!  except for the classic fears of "will I make friends, will people like me, and will I succeed"  the only emotion I feel overwhelming is excitement.  I'm going to be living in a foreign country, learning a whole new culture, learning a whole new language, and seeing sights that I've never seen before, I feel like I'm making out like a bandit here.  :-)

Tomorrow at 9:20am I'll be boarding a plane to Philadelphia where I will be participating in a staging event (the pre-orientation and paperwork event I suspect).   After hanging out in Philly for all of 16 hours all of the Mozambique education volunteers will be getting up around 2am to catch a 3am bus to JFK(why staging wasn't at a hotel near JFK is a conundrum for me) where I will fly out of America heading to Johannesburg on a 15 hour flight, once we land there will be a small layover and then a quick  1 hour flight to the capital of Mozambique, Maputo.   Once there I will spend 2-4 days at a hotel going trough a general orientation session before they ship us off an hour north to 10 weeks of training.    (So 1 week from today I will be in Africa, living with a host family, and starting my training classes...Awesome!)  

My communication will be very limited the first 3 months I'm in Mozambique because of where I will be located and my schedule, so everyone should operate under the idea that no news is good news (straight from the little PC handbook they give us to tell our families :-P ) 

Take care everyone!  The next thing I post will be from Africa!! :-D

1 comment:

  1. Have fun! you will do great things! Make sure you take lots of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete